Your new design will be uploaded in:
...
Please contact Delivery Team on
0113 3200 750 if you have any queries.
X

St Peter's Roman Catholic Primary School

Live, Love and Learn

WelcomeWordWelfareWitnessWorship

sports funding

 

Allocations

The government is providing additional funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013 to 2014 and 2014 to 2015 to improve the provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.  The funding is provided jointly by the Department for Education and Health and Culture, Media and Sport, to be allocated to primary and special schools.

The total allocation is split into two payments.  Schools received 65% of their allocation in the financial year 2013-14, with the remaining 35% payable in the financial year 2014-15 as follows:-

Financial Year

2013/14 Academic Year

Payment Date to School

Amount

2013-14 PE and Sport Grant

September 2013 to March 2014

October 2013

£5422

2014-15 PE and Sport Grant

April 2014 to August 2014

May 2014

£3448

 

Initial allocations were based on a fixed amount of £7,535, plus £5 per eligible pupil, for eligible schools with 17 or more pupils (5-11 years).  The fixed amount has now been increased to £8,000.

St Peter’s RC Primary School was allocated a total of £8,870 based on 174 eligible pupils for academic year 2013/14.

For the academic year 2014/15 an allocation of £7960 will be received as follows:-

Financial Year

2014/15 Academic Year

Payment Date to School

Amount

2014-15 PE and Sport Grant

September 2014 to March 2015

October 2014

£5174

2015 -16 PE and Sport Grant

April 2015 to August 2015

May 2015

£2786

 

Purpose of funding

Schools must spend the additional funding on improving the provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.

Possible funding suggestions are as follows-

  • Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE.
  • Supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life Clubs
  • Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
  • Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
  • Running sport competitions, or increasing pupil participation in the School Games
  • Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
  • Providing places for pupils on after school clubs and holiday clubs
  • Pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools

  

ST PETERS RC PRIMARY SCHOOL

Accountability

Our school funding grant has been used to further enhance the delivery of curriculum PE with the employment of a specialist Level 4 Teaching Assistant with coaching qualifications.  Mr Wakwima also has a wealth of experience teaching primary aged children in an International school in Africa.  Mr Wakwima teaches PE throughout the school, supported by class teachers.  His role also involves the delivery of a number of after school clubs – football, netball, basketball, cross country and gymnastics.  This has increased pupil participation in sporting activities and competition with other schools. 

This post is permanent.  The additional funding we receive at St Peter’s is only for a limited time period.  However, the Governing Body and school community recognise the crucial importance of providing high quality provision both in terms of the PE curriculum and after school sporting activities.  Mr Wakwima has also accessed professional development opportunities and is supported by Mrs Sarah Lord, a specialist PE teacher from Cardinal Langley High School.  A small contribution from this allocation of money was given to CLHS to ensure this support will continue.

New resources to support the delivery of the PE curriculum and after school club activities has also been purchased.