Sports Funding is as follows: (Funding doubled from £5 per eligible pupil to £10 in 2017/18)
Purpose of funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving the provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
In academic year 2016/2017 sports funding contributed towards the £22,436 salary costs for a specialist PE Teaching Assistant, the remaining cost was made up from our school budget.
Possible funding suggestions are as follows-
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE.
- Supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life Clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing pupil participation in the School Games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school clubs and holiday clubs
- Pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools
ST PETERS RC PRIMARY SCHOOL
Our school funding grant has been used to further enhance the delivery of curriculum PE with the employment of a specialist Level 4 Teaching Assistant with coaching qualifications. Mr Lord also has a wealth of experience teaching primary aged children in a range of schools. Mr Lord teaches PE throughout the school, supported by class teachers. His role also involves the delivery of a number of after school clubs – football, netball, basketball, cross country and gymnastics. This has increased pupil participation in sporting activities and competition with other schools. Please see http://www.stpetersrc.rochdale.sch.uk/parents/sports-results for our recent sports facts & figures.
This post is permanent. The additional funding we receive at St Peter’s is only for a limited time period. However, the Governing Body and school community recognise the crucial importance of providing high quality provision both in terms of the PE curriculum and after school sporting activities.
New resources to support the delivery of the PE curriculum and after school club activities have also been purchased.